Mario Schmuziger from company Zühlke hold a refreshing presentation on the topic “driving innovation – how organization discover, select and execute on innovation.” But what is innovation and what’s not?
One definition of innovation says that it is “the process of translating an idea or invention a good or service that creates value of for which customers will pay”. No Innovations are ideas or services that sells well but the customer loses money. So there is no added value.
Global competition today puts all industries under pressure to be innovate. And there are some very popular companies like google, Uber, tesla that everybody knows. They are common for their innovations, which have a big impact and can changing the future.
Very important of driving innovation is the adaption rate. Mores Law implies the exponential growth. This law tells for example, that the performance of the processors doubles approximately every year.
One of the key things for innovation is to know as followed:
- Understanding target group: Because you have to know which are the drivers.
- Ideation: Be as creative as possible.
- Prototyping: The earlier the decision for an idea, the better and the lower the costs. For that
you should go into discussion as soon as possible with customers.
- Testing: It is very simple and useful to do a testing. Furthermore, repeat the testing from time
- Development: Ask customers, which added features they like.
- Operations: Be reminded that things are changing all the time.
In addition, Schmuziger gave us some take aways. He mentioned that digitally comes, if somebody wants or not. Go with the time and make use of opportunities but also be aware of the risks. Be brave because you can not lose anything and definitely go beyond borders.
Finally, he told how to hold up the innovation over the years as a company. It is simple, because the staff of Zühlke get educated in different topics so that they can expand their experiences. Keep people up to date and speed for driving innovation.